Access works have recently been completed at the new waste management plant in Abu Dhabi. The recycling facility has been constructed by THIESS Services and will manage construction and demolition wastes in the Emirates of Abu Dhabi.
Theiss have operations throughout Australia, New Zealand and the Middle East, and key areas of operation include;
• utilities operation and maintenance - electrical, water and gas
• contaminated site remediation
• telecommunications infrastructure management
• waste management
• facilities management, and
• infrastructure operations and maintenance
The construction is part of a 15 year construction waste management contract THIESS has signed with the Abu Dhabi government, worth $475m.
The facility will redirect the waste from landfill, and reduce the demand on virgin resources brought in from other locations in the United Arab Emirates. According to Thiess, this shows the serious position Abu Dhabi is taking in terms of its carbon footprint reduction strategy.